June 20, 2020

A wedding!

What a privilege to attend a wedding!
Its not often that I get an official invitation to attend a wedding but today was different. I was invited by Jerome and Aloisa to attend their wedding.
The wedding took place at the DWU chapel.

The church was well set up and nicely decorated with the theme of red, pink and white.
I took Lordes as well and we went.
We arrived 10 minutes earlier than everybody. We met Professor Peter Anderson and then waited for everyone to turn up.

Inside the church, the place was amazing with bright colours, flower petals sprinkled on the floor, flowers placed neatly here and there, balloons, white sheets dangling from stands, a red carpet.....it was very nice!

Then the couple did their procession with their bridesmaid and the groomsmen. All were immaculately dressed - the ladies with pink and the guys with dark suits.
I don't know why I got a bit misty eyed when they both read their vows....it just says so much about committing oneself to another person. It really is a powerful moment when one person says something so meaningful and profess their love to another person in front of a community. It really is.

Just as the event was getting more beautiful, Lordes said she was feeling cold and her hands trembled. I asked her if she was ok, she looked at me with worried eyes and I know something was not right. I led her outside the chapel. When we were outside, she asked me to carry her home.
When we arrived home, she was shivering profusely. I gave her some panadol and told her to lie down. She didnt have fever so I assumed the panadol would calm her down and I would go back to the wedding. After few minutes she was shivering but this time I became concerned. In that brief moment, I thanked God for giving me the right mindset to get her quickly to a health facility. Later on, after everything had worked out and I reflected back, I just knew that if I had not taken her to the hospital, she could have lost her life. It was that serious! I quickly called the ever reliable 'Hilux' and he quickly came and took us to the private clinic along Modilon road. When we arrived the service was really fast and efficient. Lordes's temperature was 39. 4 degrees and they gave her arthemeter and christapen! It was malaria.
Now I look back and at that moment I had made the right decision in taking her very quickly to the health facility. It really could have been worse!According to Malaria Control handbook for Papua New Guinea, four out of every 10 outpatient visit to a health facility in PNG is a malaria case and around 600 people die annually from Malaria in PNG!
Anyway, my daugther and I missed a great wedding event at the chapel and the reception at the Madang Resort hotel.
A very big congratulations to Mr. and Mrs Semos!

No comments: